By Tami Klein
Posted in culinary
A key point for any recipe that includes poppy is to use fresh poppy seeds that aren’t bitter. We recommend buying poppy seeds in a good spice shop and asking them to grind them on the spot. You can store freshly-ground poppy seeds in the freezer.
Recipe for Poppy Seed Chocolate Cake:
100 g dark chocolate
2 tablespoons milk
100 g butter
1 tablespoon brandy
6 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
160 g freshly ground poppy
2 loaf pans or 1 26cm diameter spring pan
- Break chocolate into pieces and place in a medium saucepan, add the milk, butter, brandy and melt them together while stirring.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add ¾ cup of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the chocolate cream and stir.
- Add the poppy seeds and the remaining chocolate cream to the yolk mixture and stir again.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the mixture.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C, for approximately 25-35 minutes.
The cake should come out like brownies, moist inside and crispy on top.
Excellent accompanied by a tablespoon of whipped cream…